Saturday 28 May 2011

Hills Like White Elephants: Personal Response

     Whenever I read Ernest Hemingway's writing, I feel like I have met him before in person because his writing I have read is very realistic. I don't mean his stories seem to be real or a non-fiction, but the way he created the conversation makes me feel familiar as if I heard the conversation right next to them. I could imagine the situation the American man and the girl argue with each other like a movie or soap opera scene because of the vivid dialogue. The conversation between the man and the girl is very typical and classic, but it is not, either. That is because the writer show us things that can happen to anyone but nobody wants to know the uncomfortable aspect of love; he doesn't make the story fancy like a Hollywood romantic movie girls mostly like.
     The girl, who is probably very young, faces the truth that makes her confused and upset, but she seems to grow up by going through the tough moment at the end of the story. Actually I cannot be one hundred percent sure whether she became more mature or not, but I can tell she already knows it is time to move on even though she doesn't know what to do yet. On the other hand, I don't think the man doesn't have responsibilities because he knows what he can do and what he can't do. I think he is not responsible if he let her give birth despite he is not ready to be a father or at least support her.  We can see hills as white elephants when we are full of emotions, but we can see them as they are when we realize that life goes on no matter how ready we are to deal with things we don't want.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Hee-Jung! This was a very thought-provoking post, and I was pleased to see the skill with which you played the Devil's advocate. Yes, actually, you are right: the man's perspective on why an abortion is apparently necessary is not that of madness or evil, and his point of view is as deserving of being heard as his partner's.

    Nevertheless, the man lacks the ability to self-critically reflect. Hemingway indicates this in many ways, but not least through the man's failure to see and understand the landscape around him. Furthermore, I fault the man is for his "no-pressure-pressure"; he's too manipulative.

    In a way, it's easy for us to criticize him for getting her pregnant and not wanting to marry her: in a modern society, people have access not only to condoms, but also to "morning after" pills. The 1920's didn't have these.

    In any case, I commend you for drawing out from the story a thread that calls us not to judge the man but to understand him. That said, I don't think he remains either likable or worthy of emulation.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to ask about one sentence I could not understand: "The conversation between the man and the girl is very typical and classic, but it is not, either." Could you explain it for me? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your commments! Really I do.
    I want to explain it you asked me. I think the conversation can happen anytime, anywhere; However, I've seen and heard that kind of situation in movies, dramas and reality, but girls mostly become more dependent or they just get married and live an unhappy life at least in Korea. I like the way the girl goes through the tough situation. Also, their attitude looks more calm than I expected because I think she seems to be too young to handle it.

    One of my frineds went through the same experience as them. She seems happy with her daughter, but I'm not sure if she is happy with her husband who suddenly became a husband and a dad at once when he was 22 years old and didn't finish his military service. "Happily ever After"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading your posts because we are from the same country, yet you have much wider and deeper insight than me in way of thinking :) I never thought this way, " but I can tell she already knows it is time to move on even though she doesn't know what to do yet." as you wrote, and I think you are pretty right. And I think the girl resembles me in that way- time to move on but don't know what to do exactly, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can also understand the man's feeling!
    I began to think that it is also nice sometimes even if we are hurt as long as we are with someone we really love.
    But sometimes there's no right person for us at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hear ye, hear ye: I must eat humble pie! I found a typo in my own comment!

    This sentence: "Furthermore, I fault the man is for his "no-pressure-pressure"; he's too manipulative"--is incorrect due to the presence of the word "is". I had edited the sentence to change its structure, but forgot to delete that word. Apologies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee-Jung, that is a very sad (true) story. I hope your friend, her present husband, and their child(ren) can all realize happiness for themselves in due course.

    ReplyDelete